February 8, 2012

Don't worry, I'm alive.

It's been exactly 3 months since I posted anything. I've been waiting for my camera to be repaired (it's on its way back now) and honestly, I just haven't been drinking nearly as much beer this winter as I normally do. Maybe that's a good thing, or maybe it's not. Whatever the case, once my camera gets here I plan on getting back into the swing of things. In the meantime, here are some of the beers I've been drinking since last we met...

Great Divide Hibernation Ale: My go-to fridge beer (meaning I always have some in stock) for the past few winters. It's very well balanced and has a good amount of alcohol to keep you warm. Figs and raisins, a little nutty, earthy hops, and a touch of spice. Damn tasty.


Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale: Lagunitas messed up their batch of their regular holiday beer, Brown Shugga, and so this was the solution. What they came up with is the best IPA I've ever had. First of all, the aroma is incredible. Sticking my nose in the glass was like sticking my nose into a handful of fresh hops. It's super smooth, probably from the oats used, and has a nice spice and breadiness to it, probably from the rye. The combination of the malts also helps adds some complexity that nearly perfectly balances out the citrus and pine from the hops. Like I said, best IPA I've ever had.


Thornbridge Bracia: 'Bracia' is the Celtic name for a drink once brewed in Iron Age Europe using cereal grains and honey. Thornbridge uses dark Chestnut Honey along with a diverse group of malts and hops to produce a delicious beer with flavors of chocolate, light coffee, espresso, and spicy black licorice. This was a bottle of Robin's (Good For The Palate) but I wish now that she had bought two, because this would be a good one to age.


Sixpoint Diesel: Not sure if this is a stout or a black IPA, but I'd say a little bit of both. Less hoppy than most black IPA's and definitely more malty, but thicker, richer, and creamier like a stout. Either way, it's good stuff.


Nøgne Ø Imperial Brown Ale: Chocolate, dark roasted malt, nutty, with a bit of coffee and caramel.


Great Divide Belgian Yeti: Pretty good. Noticeably different from the other Yeti varieties, obviously from the Belgian yeast used, but just didn't quite hit the mark for me when compared to the Espresso Oak Aged Yeti (my favorite of the Yeti series).


Ass Kisser Porter Pounder: Delicious smoked porter. Not over the top with the smoke.


Elysian Bifrost Winter Ale: Not bad. Reminded me a bit of Bell's Winter Ale but with slightly less sweetness and hops.

1 comment:

Adrian (@anyland) said...

Thanks for all the info :)