August 8, 2011

Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout

I don't know why, but despite being a hot summer, I've still been craving darker, heavier beers, especially coffee and espresso porters and stouts. The Espresso Stout from Hitachino Nest is a great beer. It pours pitch black, but you can catch a hint of dark brown at the bottom of the glass. Head is pretty thick, and I even backed down on my pour when I realized how much there was going to be. Smells of coffee and chocolate, with a little herbal, grassy note to it. This could be due to the fact that the base recipe is for a Russian Imperial Stout, and they tend to be generously hopped. Tastes like you would expect, and that's not a bad thing. A combination of sweet and dark roasted malts, black coffee and espresso, milk chocolate, plus hints of vanilla and a little cream. Not incredibly heavy, soft carbonation, and a little oily. Finishes bitter and slightly sweet just like espresso, with the tiniest bit of tobacco in the aftertaste as well. It's not perfectly balanced, but I'd say pretty close. Overall, an incredibly enjoyable beer that I will definitely have again.

Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout

No comments: