July 28, 2011

De Dochter van de Korenaar

Back in 2009, I had a beer called Embrasse, a very complex, Belgian strong dark ale. I didn't come across anything more from the brewer, Antwerp-based De Dochter van de Korenaar, until I was reintroduced by Brian Ewing of 12 Percent Imports at Brewvival 2010. I tried the L'enfant Terrible, a delicious sour ale. I was not a huge fan of sours before then, so I credit that particular beer with opening me up to the style. I was unsuccessful finding more of their beers back home. I even asked one of the top craft beer stores in the area if they could order some, which they said they would, but never did (disappointing). During my stay in Asheville, NC this past February, I visited Bruisin' Ales and found what I had been looking for. I grabbed one bottle each of Noblesse, Courage, Bravoure, and L'enfant Terrible.

Five months have passed, and I've gone through a lot of beer (I brought back over $500 worth from my trip). This past week, I finally got to the ones from De Dochter van de Korenaar.

Noblesse is a low-alcohol (5.5% ABV) Belgian pale ale. It has a sweet aroma, with grassy hop notes and a little funk, and is very crisp and refreshing.
Noblesse

Courage claims to be a dark wheat ale, but I thought it was more of a slightly sour brown ale with a hint of cherry.


Bravoure is a tasty dark ale with a rich head. It's more malty than I expected, and carries tastes of raisin and fig, plus a little spice, and also very slight nutty and smoky notes.


Noblesse, Courage, and Bravoure were good, but not amazing. I enjoyed drinking them, but have had other beers I liked more for the same price.

The bottle of L'Enfant Terrible is still in my fridge (I always save the best for last).

No comments: