April 24, 2011

R.I.P.A. on Rye

You may not know it, but I try a lot more beer than I ever post about. I usually only post what I've taken photos of, and I make sure I have tasting notes to go along. But Shmaltz Brewing Company's HeBrew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. on Rye (rye whiskey barrel aged) is one that I ended up not thinking too much about while drinking it. I was so happy just downing huge mouthfuls that I didn't care about analyzing it for malt backbone or hop bitterness or color or lacing or head retention.



My friends know I'm a beer geek, and they appreciate my opinion when choosing new beers to try. I like to let them find out for themselves, since not everyone has the same tastes, but a lot of the time I use a broad yet effective rating system to give them a general idea about what they're thinking about trying.

From the lowest rating to the best rating:
"No."
"Meh."
"Okay."
"Try it if you like _______."
"Pretty good."
"Awesome."
"Fucking. Delicious."

R.I.P.A. on Rye falls in the "Awesome" category. I loved the creamy head, the taste of the rye, the "liquid bread"-like body (it is on the heavier side for an IPA), and the vanilla and sweetness from the barrel aging. There is some citrus hop flavor, but not much bitterness. There, you got some tasting notes anyway. Check out the full beer description at the Shmaltz website.

1 comment:

Zak Davis said...

Hi Chris. This is Zak Davis from Shmaltz Brewing Company. I just wanted to say thanks so much for the wonderful RIPA on RYE review. I'm so glad to see that you enjoyed it. That's the point of what we do, so we love getting positive feedback.

L'Chaim!! ~Zak