March 18, 2011

Claymore Scotch Ale

I had this on St. Patrick's Day. Oops. Great Divide's take on a Wee Heavy is dark and clean, deep brown in color with a hint of red but possibly translucent if held up to bright light. Great roasted malt taste with a touch of hop sweetness, a little earth and grain in the aroma, but overall rather subtle on the nose. I got a faint, lightly sweetened coffee taste on my first few sips. After that, cinnamon and nutmeg. Fairly well balanced, maybe just a very tiny bit on the sweet side at first, but it seemed to even out near the end and I didn't notice it anymore. It's almost completely smooth, just a little syrupy, and has a very pleasant aftertaste that will keep you going back for more. I really enjoyed this beer. If I had known how much I would like it, I would have bought a 6-pack instead of a single. On the other hand, at 7.7% ABV, a 6-pack could be dangerous if even a few are consumed in one sitting. Although it wouldn't be a Wee Heavy anymore, I think this would make a great session ale if they did a similar recipe but brought the alcohol down to 4.5-5%. Anyway, Claymore is an awesome beer! Better than green Bud or Guinness on St. Patrick's Day for sure!

Claymore Scotch Ale

No comments: