February 21, 2011

Beer adventure!

It started as a trip to Charleston, South Carolina for the 2nd annual Brewvival. Then it got complicated. What began as a weekend trip has turned into a week-long beer adventure. Tomorrow, it begins.

I'll head south on 95 and make my way into North Carolina then head west on 40, passing through Durham, Winston-Salem, and Black Mountain before settling in Asheville. On the way, I have the opportunity to stop at Fullsteam Brewing (Durham), Foothills (Winston-Salem), and Pisgah Brewing (Black Mountain). Time is key though, since there is a cask event (known as "Caskageddon", or "The Night of FIVE Casks") at Barley's Taproom in Asheville starting at 7pm and featuring Big Boss High Roller IPA, Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout, Foothills bourbon-barrel People's Porter, Fullsteam Red Beans & Rice, and Mother Earth Tripel Overhead. There is also a Fullsteam tasting at Bruisin Ales from 4-6pm, so theoretically I could skip all the stops and only miss Pisgah. We'll see how it goes.

I'll be in Asheville until Thursday, hopefully meet some new beer friends, see the town, visit French Broad Brewing Company, go to the Thirsty Monk, and otherwise just play it by ear. I'm staying at Sweet Peas Hostel which looks to be within walking distance of tons of cool places.

On Thursday I move on to Greenville, South Carolina and will stop by The Community Tap and visit Thomas Creek Brewery. I'll be there until late in the afternoon and then head to Charleston to settle in for the remainder of the week/weekend. Brewvival is on Saturday from noon til 6pm. I will no doubt stop at Poe's on Sullivan's Island for some good beer and awesome fish tacos. Whatever else happens is up in the air, but I am looking forward to an awesome vacation when all is said and done.

Stay tuned for photos and updates from the road.

No comments: