February 4, 2011

Alewife, Hop Rod Rye, ChurchKey, Untappd

Last Saturday I was at Alewife with my friends Trevor and Dong. I had the mussells and a glass of Allagash Black, a medium bodied stout with great roasted malt flavors, a bit of chocolate, and a fruit-like sweetness to it as well. After that I had a glass of Nøgne Ø India Pale Ale. When we were done at Alewife we headed down to Pratt Street Ale House. I wanted a Bishop's Indulgence but they were out, so I had a Bishop's Breakfast instead, still very tasty. For the rest of the night I had cask pours of 3 Lions.

On Monday I crushed a bomber of Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye. God damn delicious. All the hops you could ask for in a seemingly perfectly balanced brew, with the added depth and earthy, spicy flavors of 18% rye malt. The 8% ABV is well hidden. 80 IBU's but super smooth. Good thing I didn't have 2 of these at home, I would've downed the other one right away.

Hop Rod Rye

I met Robin in DC and we went to ChurchKey on Tuesday night specifically to get Bell's HopSlam on cask. It kicked before I got there. Total bummer. Is it wrong to be bummed out when you're sitting in a bar full of awesome beer? Can missing that one beer ruin one evening? Well, it does suck that you can't get Bell's in Maryland, but I got over it really quick with a glass of Founders Double Trouble. Robin started with an Abbaye de St. Bon Chien. We managed to get a table and ordered a brat burger and mac-n-cheese sticks. Next on the beer agenda, a 4oz pour of Mikkeller 1000 IBU and glass of Bell's Two Hearted for me and a 4oz pour of Xbeeriment #44 and glass of Harpoon Winter Warmer for Robin. We made short work of our meal. The evening was topped off with 4oz pours of Brooklyn Monster Ale and Gwiniz Du from Brasserie de Bretagne.

Yesterday I went to Hero's and decided to finally start using Untappd. I checked in a Kona Pipeline Porter and a 3 Lions from Oliver Ales. I earned the 'Newbie' badge. Newbie my ass. I'm going to try and keep up with using Untappd, as long as I have my phone on me. It's actually a great way to keep track of what you drink, plus you can link it to Twitter and Facebook and make all your fellow beer friends jealous.

No comments: