January 27, 2011

Theobroma

Theobroma is part of Dogfish Head's 'Ancient Ales' series. The recipe is based on chemical analysis of Honduran pottery dating back to 1200 BC. The original drink was the earliest known alcoholic chocolate drink and one of the earliest examples of cocoa used for human consumption. This modern version is brewed with cocoa nibs, cocoa powder, honey, ancho chilies, and annatto seeds. As far as the chocolate thing goes, I really didn't get it. When the beer warmed up a bit I did taste a little bitterness that reminded me of dark chocolate, but I never detected any actual chocolate flavor. You could definitely taste the chilies though. The beer was pretty refreshing though. Prickly carbonation, pretty light body, a nice sweetness from the honey and a little bite from the chilies. Finished the entire bottle in about 20 minutes. Maybe I was just thirsty.
Theobroma

No comments: